Monday, May 28, 2012

Rise & Shine Muffins

Hey Y'all!

This recipe is one I created for a friend who was coming to visit me. Now I have a confession to make: Even though I probably have over a hundred cook books ( no kidding!) I love to just look in the fridge, see what I have and just get crazy and start creating. LOL!

When I was a child, I would watch my mother and grandmother cook like this and was amazed at their cooking~ no recipes, just a little bit of this and a little bit of that & I longed to be able to do the same.

 I've been cooking since I was ten years old, but actually started out cooking by following recipes. As I became more confident, I would change the recipes up a bit, tweaking it and finally making them my own. The more I experimented, the more confident I became. It is much easier to do this with with regular cooking, however not so much with baking, because baking is more of a science, and the ingredient proportions need to be precise in order for the recipe to turn out just right. So, it surprises even me when I can just start combining ingredients to create a baked product.

This recipe is easy and will keep fresh for several days in a sealed Tupperware container in the refrigerator, then you can reheat them for 7-10 seconds in the microwave. They are also delicious spread with a little softened cream cheese on top. Yum Yum!

I hope you enjoy them!........ Lulabelle


Rise and Shine Muffins



1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups regular flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1  1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup peeled, grated carrots
1 granny smith apple cored; grated with peel left on
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 shredded coconut

1 cup powedered sugar, *** for tops of muffins after baking

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1. In large mixing bowl, combine granulated sugar, eggs, & oil. Beat at low speed 2 minutes to blend well.

2. In separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients; stir well with fork.

3. Add dry ingredients to oil, eggs & sugar and beat for two minutes to blend.

4. Add remaining ingredients, and beat just till blended.

5. Place 18 paper cupcake liners in regular sized muffin pans.

6. Fill each cup 3/4 with batter. Bake for 20 -22 minutes till done, or till a         toothpick inserted in the center of muffins comes out clean.

Top with sifted powdered sugar

Yield 18 muffins

*** Tip: If you have a food processor, you can put the cored apple cut into wedges along with a cup of carrot chunks into the processor and pulse just till they are shredded. however, do not do this with the walnuts; they need to be larger pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment