Monday, May 28, 2012

Easy Peasy Pickles

OK y'all; let me first explain these pickles have absolutely nothing to do with peas. LOL! It is just a term I am using to let you know how simple these pickles are to make. My daughter from Missouri first told me about them and I couldn't believe how easy the are. Yep, I am originally from the show me state, so I had to see it, to believe it, and they made a believer out of me.

How simple? Just two ingredients. Cucumbers and leftover jarred pickle juice.

Here is what you do. The next time you eat up all your (dill/ kosher/sour/ ) pickles, save the juice in the jar and keep the lid on it and refrigerate it. Preferably, get some fresh cucumbers from the local farmer's market or produce stand (I haven't tried cucumbers from a regular grocery store, but I'm sure they would work too, however, the fresher ones are better)

I use a 24 oz pickle jar, and two fairly good size cucumbers. I pour half of the juice into a glass and reserve it. Next stand up cucumbers along side of jar to measure how much to cut off the end of each. The goal is to have the height of the cucumbers match the height of the jar. Cut each cucumber into spears and pack tightly into jar of juice. Pour remaining juice over cucumbers, to fill to the the brim. Save any remaining juice in a jar and refrigerate for another jar of pickles.

Next, simply refrigerate pickles and let them cure for at least one week, however, they do get better the longer they cure (if you can wait longer!)

Viola! you now have delicious pickles similar in taste to Clausens. I used a spicy pickle juice the first time and they were sooo good! You can also enhance them by adding fresh dill, garlic cloves, and or small hot peppers and a little salt if you so desire. 

I am now experimenting with using fresh green tomatoes (instead of cucumbers) and plan to try fresh okra as well. Will keep you posted on the results.

So there you have it. Easy, peasy, pickles. Enjoy!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment