Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Country Cooking"

Hey y'all.....

As much as I love southern and low country foods, when I have a "hankering" ( a craving ) for country food ~(excuse me; my Midwest "roots" are showing) I usually fix a simple meal that reminds me of home. There may be a little German influence to it, ( and a little southerness too) but it's so good ~  you'll have to try it for yourself, and then you'll know why I consider it another classic comfort food meal. I'm posting two recipes ~ "Smoked Sausage with Sauteed Cabbage" and "Fried Apples." I usually serve a big pot of pinto beans  with it, and a pan of cornbread.  Last night I added a cup of frozen, whole kernel corn to my basic cornbread recipe, and it was really good. I do a lot of experimenting in the kitchen ~ trial and error ~ fortunately my family doesn't mind being my taste testers.  My recipes makes about 4 servings, but you can always add more sausage for heartier appetites, or even add an extra side dish of collard greens. I also like to serve fresh slices of sweet onion on the side ~ it seems to really compliment the flavors of the sausage and apples.
I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does ~  Lulabelle



Smoked Sausage and Sauteed Cabbage

1 medium head green cabbage, sliced into strips

1 medium onion (white or yellow) sliced

2 Tbls. bacon grease ( or Crisco)

2 Tbls. Granulated sugar

2 Tbls. Balsamic vinegar ( or you can sub. apple cider vinegar instead)

1/8 tsp. Lawry's Seasoned Salt

dash of cayenne pepper

1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced into 2" pieces, then split lengthwise

1/4 cup water


  1. Melt grease in bottom of a large, deep skillet, over medium heat.
  2. Add Cabbage, onion, sugar, vinegar, spices, and water to skillet; stir well.
  3. Place pieces of sausage on top of cabbage mixture, cover with lid.
  4. Cook about 20 - 25 minutes  till cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally, and adding a little more water if mixture starts to stick. 
  5. You can add more cayenne pepper for a little more "kick" ~ likewise with the sugar & vinegar, Just add more or less for personal preference.
  6. Yield 4 servings

Country "Fried" Apples


4 medium apples, cored, sliced into wedges, but leave peeling on

2 Tbls. butter

1/4 granulated sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp. lemon juice


  1. Melt butter in medium skillet, over low heat.
  2. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine. Cover skillet with a lid.
  3. Cook for 20 -25 minutes stirring occasionally, until apples are tender and are caramelized.
  4. If mixture starts to stick, add a few tablespoons water.
  5. Yield: 4 servings








 

No comments:

Post a Comment