I love collecting new recipes and trying them out. I recently made this delicious chocolate cake for a potluck dinner a few weeks ago. It disappeared so quick, I didn't even get a slice! My friends all seemed to love it and it was declared a winner. The secret is a cup of cold coffee in the batter. It makes the cake extra moist and flavorful. Even if you don't like coffee, don't let that keep you from making this cake.....it's really good and would be even better with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream with it. The perfect summer treat!
Hope you all have a great summer!
Black Magic Chocolate Cake
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup strong, black coffee, cooled
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add remaining ingredients; beat with electric mixer for two minutes on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally. (mixture will be thin)
- Pour batter into greased and floured, 9" x 13" baking pan.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes or until done.
- (test center of cake with a toothpick for doneness)
- Let cool completely before frosting.
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
3 cups confectioners sugar
3 Tbls milk
2 tsp. vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Beat on low speed of mixer till ingredients are well blended.
- Continue beating for two minutes on medium speed, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Spread frosting evenly over completely cooled cake.
yield 12- 15 servings